Sunday, June 29, 2008

Don't Read If You're Still Reading (or want to read) the Final Harry Potter Book!

Well, it's finally over. One of the saddest and strangest days of my life has finally arrived because today, on a dreary, cold Sunday afternoon, I finally finished reading the final Harry Potter book. I blame university for everything; one of the subjects I was doing in English Literature had as required reading the first Harry Potter book, 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'. Once I read that, I had to read the rest of them.

This is not going to be a review of the book; just a review of my thoughts on having completed it. In general, it was - what can I say - a simply fantastic read. J. K. Rowling is an ecstatic writer and can take her reader on a breathtaking rollercoaster ride of emotions. She is witty, funny, deep, insightful and extremely intelligent. Half the words I've ever looked up in my Oxford Minidictionary I first read in the Harry Potter books (and I've had the dictionary for 15 years, there!).

The main problem I had while reading this last book ('Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows') is that the information from all the previous books kind of snowballed and quite a bit of foreknowledge was assumed, yet I was too lazy to go back and read the previous books to completely understand the finer points of the plot; maybe I just didn't want to slacken my pace. The energy you get and the lift, the absolute adrenaline rush of reading rapidly towards the dénouement of a great novel is like nothing else; your senses are sharpened and your whole brain hangs on every line, every new page... it's elemental. I always say the best kind of book is an invisible one; because it's only when everything else disappears from around you that you really know you're holding a powerful narrative.

And Rowling has achieved such a narrative. And now I know for sure why (though I suspected it several books ago). She, like C. S. Lewis, has used the concept of the Saviour and the Chosen One, a Messiah or sacrificial figure, to hold together the story and maintain its attraction. Not that I disagree with this; it's kind of what I was hoping for. I'm sure many of us out there were aching to read in the final chapters, where everything is explained, that Harry is, actually, invincible and cannot be killed by his arch-enemy, Voldemort. That it wasn't an accident that he survived the first killing curse as an infant in the cot. That he is, actually, chosen. That he can conquer death. This is what makes him such a hero and an idol to the younger generation.

The truth is we all want to believe in such things. We need a rallying point, a central figure that we can all believe in, trust in, adore and give our service to. Harry Potter is that; a mythological superman who possesses the keys to eternity. Not because we believe that he won't ever die, because he is obviously mortal in the story and will age as we do. But because the story makes out that, reasonable circumstances assumed, his life will always be spared, as though he is covered by some protective mantle that ordinary mortals lack. Perhaps this is what attracts so many people to these books (you know what I mean, you see them on the train when you go to work). The kids love the magic and the spells; but the adults love it for a totally different reason. They love what it implies, the sense of the extraordinary that it revolves around. The belief that the universe can decide to focus its energies upon ONE individual, not many. This is the yearning of our modern society: the 'me' factor. And Harry Potter strikes that chord masterfully.

Apart from storyline, the characters in the books are simply mind-bogglingly amazing. Not just the variety of characters and the imagination gone into creating them but the sheer believability of some of them is staggering, so that most of us who have followed the story on through the whole 7 books have been left with a very sad feeling at leaving them. On the one hand, we rejoice that the series ended so well and fittingly, but on the other, some part of us hopes we have not seen the last of dear Ron, Harry and Hermione. They are real in every sense except actual flesh and blood.

What do you think? Have you read any of the books? All of them? Do you ever intend to? Do you just not understand the whole fuss? I welcome your input. I am not, I would say, a real fanatical fan of the literature, more a temporarily interested reader. Every book I've read of the series I've always bought at least a year after it came out; I'm not one of those who camped outside Borders waiting for the doors to open at 9.01am so I could rush in and buy my copy as soon as it came out. But in part, the controversy surrounding the books made me determined to read them all for myself so that I could decide for myself what I thought of them. I think it's important to have one's own reasons for one's beliefs and you can't praise or criticise something on hearsay, if you respect yourself. I can now say, as an educated graduate (as well as a Christian), that I approve. Maybe not wholeheartedly with everything in the books (because there are some terrifying moments I wouldn't read to my children or dwell on before bed), but overall, I agree with the basic message Rowling has put across. This is the 21st Century and we can't expect authors to write like Enid Blyton or Hans Christian Anderson anymore. We are living in different times and our literature will reflect that. But even in these difficult times we have need of a strong message. More than anything, I think the Potter story is one of sacrifice and love. I don't think everyone needs to see that to appreciate the books but I saw it and it is enough for me. I am satisfied.

*Sniff sniff* It's really over. No more books about the boy wizard. My heartfelt hugs to all the diehard Potter fans out there who are missing an arm; it will grow back, don't worry. It will just take time! :)

Peace to all the bloggers/readers.

P.S. And yeah, I forgot, Harry Potter does kick Voldemort's butt in the end - of course! ;-)

No comments: