Monday, March 3, 2008

A Simple Life

It was a hot, hectic day back in 2005 when I was working as an emergency teacher in various schools in Melbourne, that the idea first came into my head. Or rather, the idea was already there but the events of that particular day brought it out of my head and into my reality; thus, it was hatched into action.

I was returning from a drive somewhere I don't really remember, maybe the beach. I often went there when life became too complicated and difficult. I went to be alone and to think with the help of the waves. Although the beach is an hour's drive from my house, it was always worth the hassle of going because after sitting at the water's edge I always felt refreshed; everything seemed clearer and problems didn't seem so insurmountable. It's hard to feel afraid when you're facing that blue. It speaks courage to your soul.

So anyway, I was driving through the nicest suburbs I could work out a route through to lessen my homeward-bound stress, and the heat, the sun, the traffic, the noise, my car's lack of an air-conditioner or radio and my lack of inner peace suddenly got to me. I thought, 'What am I doing here? This is crazy! I'm spending the best hours of my life stuck in a little metal box on a road full of toxins of every kind. I've got to get out of here!' At that moment, even my grandmother's little village in Greece seemed like a paradise compared to this daily chaos. Something inside me snapped and I stopped the car at the side of the road next to the next phone box I came across. I got out, grabbed a phone book from the nearby milkbar and dialed the number for the Greek consulate in Melbourne. I was going to get myself a Greek passport and go and live in Greece. I didn't care if I had to farm olives and tend bars in the off season to support myself; I wanted peace. Or at least space to breathe.

Well, it didn't happen that very day but that was the first step. Many problems, negotiations, hassles and chaotic days later, I am now days away from boarding that long-awaited plane. Yet to all outward appearances, I am only taking a holiday. That's what I've told everyone around me, anyway. It really all depends on what I find at the other end of my journey across the oceans. If you've ever travelled with the 50/50 uncertainty of whether you intend to return or not, you'll know that packing for such a trip is one big bee-ai-tee-see-aich. What do I take? What do I leave? Is it easier to bring stuff I don't need back, should I intend to return, or to have stuff I need sent over, should I intend to stay on? And what about extending the actual return date? Health and travel insurance? Bank accounts? Telephone connections? Friends? My whole world??

I've often noticed that the best changes take place one small step at a time and are so exciting that everything falls into place relatively painlessly for people. Things that are missing are patiently waited for because so much else is going fantastically well (maybe for the first time ever). How else could we adapt to new life situations? If we don't believe in what we're doing, everything's a hassle. How else can we put up with the daily obstacles? We need that excitement for life to make everything else less annoying, to put life into perspective. Living in the Western world, especially a country like Australia, where the government makes so many things easy for us, makes us develop a warped sense of perspective. Our parents can huff and puff in vain; we won't make changes according to their advice unless we live the reality they came from. We can't understand them from our little box of comfort with its messages that the world is our oyster and we should just get out there and live our dreams. We just won't get the importance of what they're telling us every day: don't trust everybody, study hard, find someone to marry and save, save, SAVE.

Surely that's not a bad way to go. But what gave them this perspective was the world they came from. And that means their world was healthy. Simple and uncomplicated. They had exactly what they needed and no more. They survived. They brought their dreams with them wherever they went and many of them made them a reality. But dreams have many forms. We, the city generation, have been raised in the noise and hubbub of places our parents used to have romantic fantasies about. But many of us dream of places our parents left and often fondly reminisce about. Are our dreams any less valid or responsible? Is wanting to live a healthier, quieter life in a small village or town any worse a goal than wanting to move to a big, busy city with all of life's modern conveniences?

I sign off this entry with this hope: I hope everyone who has a dream, whatever it may be, finds the courage and hope inside them to make their dream a reality. Where there is a will, there IS a way. We are ships of hope that are equipped with everything we need to reach our destinations. Only those who have found a way to penetrate into our inward parts through our ears - penetrate with doubtful, fearful and critical thoughts - have the power to sink us. So don't let anyone get to you. Nothing can be more right, more correct, than the energy and passion that keeps you getting out of bed in the morning. Everything in your life should revolve around this force of will.

8 comments:

tk said...

wow. Sounds a lot like me in a weird kind of sense. I wish you all the best in your adventure to Greece, but take into account your job vs your sanity and life. I definately know that I'm leaving advantages here in the states for things that I think are more worthwhile.

Keep in touch!
-Theresa

GeekGoddess said...

Hey tk, thanks for that. I'll check out your blog now but - may I ask where you are going and what these worthwhile things are? Not meaning to pry. :)

All the best!
GG

tk said...

Haha, not at all. Just like you said. The fresh Kalamata air, of course the boy haha, but the change of lifestyle. People work because they need money. Here in the states everyone is a work-a-holic. Feel free to email! tk8289 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Cheryl said...

I really enjoyed your writing, especially your last paragraph. Your right on and I wish you the best of luck. I'm still having a tough time adjusting but this is what my husband really wants for us so I'm giving it my all. Good luck. I hope that you don't have to wait for a connection too long after you get here-I can't wait to read about your transition!

CaliforniaKat said...

Hi GG, from my experience (and take it with a grain of salt), the only way you can do something wholeheartedly is to give 100 and not teeter on 50/50. I cut everything with no option to return because that's how sure I was.

Some need to be completely removed from the familiar to become someone else. Some are perfectly able to make the commitment to change with focus right where they are. Some escape to another country because they don't really know what they want back "home" and think their problems/confusion won't follow them, only to find it worse here with heaps more unknowns piled on top.

It must also be said that not everyone has advantages and comfort in the western world. I didn't. I worked for them over several years from nothing, much like my life in Greece, which may be one reason I was able to make it here without citizenship, without Greek origin on my side or without a boyfriend/family to help.

Perhaps what you experienced that day was something between madness and passion. And sometimes it's difficult to sort out which is which.

Kali tyxi and sto kalo! See you over here :)

GeekGoddess said...

Hi CaliforniaKat! Thanks for that; they're some pretty amazing thoughts. I agree with everything you say. The truth is I am not confused but simply ignorant. That's why I'm coming to Greece to see if I'm happy there and most of all, to see if my health improves. Just taking it one step at a time at the mo! I've been to your website; it's pretty amazing.

Gia sou kai na se kala!
GG.

CaliforniaKat said...

Just so you know, I never thought you were confused. All I meant is life exists in dualities -- ignorance/intelligence, bad/good, madness/passion.

Hope you're getting on well. Check in when you can.

GeekGoddess said...

Hey ck! Sorry I didn't check in; it was a nightmare trip in every sense, mostly bad timing. Thank you for your post and don't worry, I didn't think you were calling me confused; I actually think I was thinking that and got it from your post because, at least now, quite frankly, it's true. I am more confused than ever. I have no idea what I want, not because I don't know who I am but because the world is changing so fast, my options can't keep up. If everything just stood still, I wouldn't have to worry that what I plan today will have no value tomorrow! (I'm talking about work now). This is the curse of the perfectionist who doesn't want to put a foot wrong and it is catching up with this little duck. At first, I didn't understand the madness/passion duality but it's strangely making more and more sense.
Just out of curiosity, what is it that keeps you on your path?