Friday, October 31, 2008

The Land of Serendipity

I'm writing this so everyone who reads it can know that no matter how hopeless a situation looks, you can take heart.

I got up two days ago, not having heard from my prospective employer overseas in regard to my salary and so doubting she was serious about employing me under the verbally-agreed conditions, and I looked around my room thinking, "What the hell am I going to do today?" The day stretched in front of me, a neverending path of boredom and apathy. Then I checked my email and there was a message from said employer - confirming my salary and conditions. A mixture of happiness and frustration washed over me, as I realised that I really did want the job, and also that the showdown with the folkies I had begun to think wouldn't happen, must now take place, and soon.

Right on cue, parents got home from shopping. I volunteered to help unpack and while in the middle of this, I just kind of blurted out something like, "Mum, I'm going to Greece!" It took a couple of affirmations for my mother to believe me (and 2 days later she was still questioning). Then - and I knew this was going to happen - the fireworks started. Right on time. I could have planned a New Year's Eve party with as much accuracy, featuring my mother's voluble eruptions of objection. Every irrational thought was called in for service, as were the gems of negative thinking, pessimism and paranoia. But the show didn't really get on the road until my father discovered what was happening and joined in. Now it was a real show. I walked off to my room, not having the time of day for it. It sounds cold, dear reader, but after a lifetime of hearing c**p, I am tired. No child should have to justify doing something that will be beneficial to both them and their parents and in fact the whole world.

I could hear them from my room, shouting, not at each other, but about me, hoping I could hear them and perhaps come to my senses. I stayed where I was, giving them time. After a couple of hours, the noise had died down and it was safe to re-enter their presence. While having dinner, my father began to go over with me all the things I would need to do once overseas. I was staggered. He was actually helping me! Mum, who never defies him, caught on to his line of thinking, and started offering her own suggestions. And then, Dad suddenly asks her, "Doesn't her aunt's brother live there?" (The town I'm going to). Mum exclaimed, "Why yes! We never thought of that!" I was astonished. I just sat back and watched things unfolding to my advantage, with an amazing feeling of security and hope. So there is a God.

2 comments:

CaliforniaKat said...

That's excellent. I'm glad to hear it and congrats :)

My parents continued their quest to put up roadblocks, which lasted well after they passed on.

GeekGoddess said...

Hey california girl! Good to hear from you. :)
About your parents, I'm sorry. I've heard that it's twice as hard to fight parents' beliefs after they're gone. I hope things are much better now.